15:15 - 29.10.2016 / Views: 8
Shi’ite militias launch offensive to seal off western Mosul
Shi’ite militias launch offensive to seal off western Mosul

Iraqi Shi’ite militias said on Saturday they had launched an offensive towards the west of Mosul, an operation that would tighten the noose around Islamic State’s Iraq stronghold but could inflame sectarian tension in the mainly Sunni region.

The battle for Mosul is expected to be the biggest in the 13 years of turmoil unleashed in Iraq by the 2003 U.S.-led invasion which toppled former president Saddam Hussein, a Sunni Muslim, and brought Iraq’s majority Shi’ite Muslims to power.

A spokesman for the Shi’ite militias, known as the Hashid Shaabi (Popular Mobilisation) forces, said thousands of fighters “started operations this morning to clean up the hotbeds of Daesh (Islamic State) in the western parts of Mosul”.

The city is by far the largest held by the ultra-hardline Sunni Islamic State and its loss would mark their effective defeat in Iraq, two years after their leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared a caliphate overlapping Iraq and Syria from the pulpit of a Mosul mosque.

The Shi’ite militias aim to capture villages west of Mosul and reach the town of Tal Afar, about 55 km (35 miles) from the city, the Hashid spokesman said. Their goal is to cut off any option of retreat by Islamic State insurgents into neighboring Syria or any reinforcement for their defense of Mosul.

The Iran-backed and battle-hardened paramilitaries bring additional firepower to the nearly two-week-old campaign to recapture Iraq’s second largest city from the jihadist group.

Iraqi soldiers and security forces and Kurdish peshmerga fighters have been advancing in the last 12 days on the southern, eastern and northeastern fronts around Mosul, which remains home to 1.5 million people.

The United Nations has warned of a possible humanitarian crisis and a potential refugee exodus from Mosul – though the start of operations on the city’s western flank could leave Mosul’s civilians with no outlet to safety, even if they are able to escape Islamic State control.

Villagers from outlying areas around Mosul have told Reuters that women and children were being forced to walk as human shields alongside retreating Islamic State fighters as they withdrew into the city this week.

Iraqi and Western military sources say there had been debate about whether or not to seal off Mosul’s western flank. Leaving it open would have offered Islamic State a chance to retreat, potentially sparing residents from a devastating, inner-city fight to the finish.

Some civilians fleeing Mosul have also used the roads to the west to escape to Qamishli, in Kurdish-controlled northern Syria. Others, from villagers just outside Mosul, have exploited the confusion of the conflict to flee in the other direction.

“Some people fled the other day so we took a chance. Daesh fired two bullets at us but they missed and we made it,” said Ahmed Raad, 20, from the village of Abu Jarbuaa northeast of Mosul, who had found refuge at a peshmerga base.

SLOW PROGRESS IN THE SOUTH

Around 30 km (20 miles) south of Mosul, Iraqi rapid response forces entered the village of al-Shura, once a significant base for Islamic State where the jihadists enjoyed strong support.

An officer told a Reuters correspondent on the southern front that most of the Islamic State insurgents appeared to have pulled back north towards Mosul, leaving just a small number to try to slow the advancing security forces.

Air strikes were continuing in the area on Saturday morning and the sound of artillery could be heard, as well as gunfire. Islamic State returned fire with machine guns and mortars.

Nearly two weeks into the Mosul campaign launched by Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, the advance along the Tigris river valley south of Mosul has been slower than on the eastern front, where Kurdish peshmerga fighters and an elite army unit have reached within a few km (miles) of Mosul.

Saturday’s announcement by the Shi’ite militias added another force to the coalition of fighters seeking to crush Islamic State in Iraq, but will also raise concerns about the role the Popular Mobilisation fighters will play.

Targeting the Islamic State-held town of Tal Afar, close to Turkey and home to a sizeable ethnic Turkmen population with historic and cultural ties to Turkey, will alarm Ankara. The Popular Mobilistion forces say many of Tal Afar’s Turkmen population are Shi’ites.

Human rights groups have warned of possible sectarian violence if the Shi’ite paramilitaries seize areas where Sunni Muslims form a majority, which is the case in much of northern and western Iraq.

The militias, formed in 2014 to help push back Islamic State’s sweeping advance, officially report to Abadi’s Shi’ite-led government, but have close links to Iran.

Amnesty International says that in previous campaigns, they committed “serious human rights violations, including war crimes” against civilians fleeing Islamic State-held territory.

In July, the United Nations said it had a list of more than 640 Sunni men and boys reportedly abducted by a Shi’ite militia in Falluja, a former militant bastion west of Baghdad, and about 50 others who were summarily executed or tortured to death.

The Abadi government and the Popular Mobilisation forces say a limited number of violations had occurred and were investigated, but they deny abuses were widespread and systematic.

U.S. lawmakers push for answers on Trump team’s Russia ties
15:15 - 16.02.2017

A crisis over the relationship between President Donald Trump’s aides and Russia deepened on Wednesday as a growing number of Trump’s fellow Republicans demanded expanded congressional inquiries into the matter. Trump sought to focus attention on what he called criminal intelligence leaks about his ousted national security adviser, Michael Flynn. Trump forced Flynn out on

North Korea launches ballistic missile test
12:12 - 13.02.2017

North Korea fired off a ballistic missile into the East Sea from Banghyeon North Pyongan Province early Sunday, according to South Korean officials. South Korea’s military is analyzing exactly what type of missile it was but there’s a strong possibility that it was a midrange Musudan type, according to officials. North Korea has test fired

US investigators corroborate some aspects of the Russia dossier
12:12 - 13.02.2017

For the first time, US investigators say they have corroborated some of the communications detailed in a 35-page dossier compiled by a former British intelligence agent, multiple current and former US law enforcement and intelligence officials tell CNN. As CNN first reported, then-President-elect Donald Trump and President Barack Obama were briefed on the existence of

After day in South Korea court, Samsung chief awaits arrest decision
15:15 - 16.02.2017

Samsung Group leader Jay Y. Lee left a Seoul court after more than eight hours on Thursday to await a decision on whether he will be arrested over his alleged role in a corruption scandal that has engulfed President Park Geun-hye. The 48-year-old Lee, wearing a dark coat and navy tie, kept his head down

Key business lobby warns UK not to play favorites in Brexit
12:12 - 13.02.2017

A key business lobby warned Britain’s government Monday not to play favorites among industries when it negotiates the country’s exit from the European Union, saying that ignoring any sector would hurt the entire economy. The Confederation of British Industries and the international law firm Clifford Chance also said in a new report that it is

Trump, South Korea’s Hwang agree to strengthen defenses against North Korea: White House
16:16 - 30.01.2017

U.S. President Donald Trump and South Korean Acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn agreed to take steps to strengthen joint defense capabilities to defend against North Korea’s nuclear threat, the White House said on Sunday after a telephone call between the two leaders. “President Trump reiterated our ironclad commitment to defend (South Korea), including through the provision

After day in South Korea court, Samsung chief awaits arrest decision
15:15 - 16.02.2017

Samsung Group leader Jay Y. Lee left a Seoul court after more than eight hours on Thursday to await a decision on whether he will be arrested over his alleged role in a corruption scandal that has engulfed President Park Geun-hye. The 48-year-old Lee, wearing a dark coat and navy tie, kept his head down

BT supports Google’s Android in EU antitrust row
21:21 - 06.02.2017

BT (BT.L) has become the first major telecoms company to back Google (GOOGL.O) in a battle with EU regulators, defending the “stability and compatibility” of the Android operating system, which is in the sights of anti-trust regulators. The EU says Google stifles competition by forcing smartphone makers to pre-install its search function and browser to

Nokia beats market expectations, sees network market improving
14:14 - 02.02.2017

Finnish network equipment maker Nokia reported its quarterly profits fell less than expected, helped by cost cuts and the acquisition of Alcatel-Lucent, and said the tough global market was starting to stabilize. Nokia and its rivals, Sweden’s Ericsson and China’s Huawei [HWT.UL], have struggled lately as telecom operators’ demand for faster 4G mobile broadband equipment

U.S. lawmakers push for answers on Trump team’s Russia ties
15:15 - 16.02.2017

A crisis over the relationship between President Donald Trump’s aides and Russia deepened on Wednesday as a growing number of Trump’s fellow Republicans demanded expanded congressional inquiries into the matter. Trump sought to focus attention on what he called criminal intelligence leaks about his ousted national security adviser, Michael Flynn. Trump forced Flynn out on

BT supports Google’s Android in EU antitrust row
21:21 - 06.02.2017

BT (BT.L) has become the first major telecoms company to back Google (GOOGL.O) in a battle with EU regulators, defending the “stability and compatibility” of the Android operating system, which is in the sights of anti-trust regulators. The EU says Google stifles competition by forcing smartphone makers to pre-install its search function and browser to

Iran says it sealed Boeing plane deal at half price
20:20 - 26.12.2016

Iran said on Sunday it had negotiated to pay only about half the announced price for 80 new Boeing (BA.N) airliners in an order that the American planemaker had said was worth $16.6 billion. Boeing and its European rival Airbus (AIR.PA) have both signed huge contracts this month to supply airliners to Iran, the first